This week of setting up my degree show has been up and down. My ideas and the space constantly changed and evolved as I was setting up. I did not predict that the space it's self would alter my performance and I had to adjust the work to fit in the environment. I went in with a set of ideas that changed when I responded to the space. I new I wanted projections to be shown of my previous work, and my cones to be displayed when I was not performing and that largely stayed the same. But the preformative element of the space evolved and changed a lot through out the set up. Constructing and painting the space for the first few days put me in a more stressed mindset, I think this made me rush to make decisions about the performance instead of slowing down and allowing myself to experiment but by Wednesday I began to feel reassured that it was okay to try different things out and alter different elements of the space to see what worked. To begin with I was set on having a monitor at eye level height on a stand in the space and performing in the dark in front of the audience. This however would not work given the parameters of the room, and having at still TV in the middle of the room didn't seem to fit the work either. I even considered mounting the monitor outside of the room and performing in the dark on the inside, again this didn't quite seem to work as it created a huge distance between the audience and myself. Andy finally suggested that I perform under the flooring with the night vision camera underneath (there is a hatch and small area under the floor in this particular room) , which I will admit I considered but assumed there was no way health and safety would let me. This did feel very familiar to my work as I would often clamber into cupboards and attics as part of my work last year. I loved the idea of being just under the audiences feet and for them to feel as though I am right by them with this small separation, if they could hear me shuffle around and make the connection that I am taking up the space below it would be really interesting. Not to mention that it really captures this seance of animal even more as I've spent lots of time observing animals in their burrows such as foxes and moles, this has that element to it on the surface level. However again its very unlikely I would be able to perform under there live as it is a bit hazardous. I could however prerecord myself under the floor and place speakers of the sound in under the floor, giving the impression that it is live. And that is exactly what I did. Gillian suggested it would be much better to place that monitor on the floor of the room, I agree that having next to the hatch allows one to make the connection between myself and the floor. As I still want the live element to the work I think I will perform else where in the space, as I still want a physical presence in the work.
I've also envisioned the space to contain straw or hay. The space seemed to clean with out it. I wanted to add some more texture to the space, break up some of the lines. It also allows the projection of my performance to sheep in our barn to flow senselessly into the space. An element that I didn't plan for is the strong musky smell of the hay which instantly speacks to the more insticual part of the brain, the space is trasforrmed into a barn or stable, because that is what we assosiate the smells with.